Thursday, November 20, 2014

NFL's response to domestic violence

I’m a huge football fan, and like many fans this season, I’ve been disappointed in the NFL’s response and handling of the players involved with domestic violence, most notably Ray Rice. I’ve noticed the effort they organization has put forth to right the audiences’ perceptions of the League by their promotion of the “Say No More to Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault” campaign. The first few PSAs that aired boasted players and celebrities saying, “No more” this and “No more” that. It was a fairly diverse group of individuals (as far as celebrities go). However, more recently, the League has aired a player only PSA. This is the one I struggle with. It’s only males (23 of them to be exact), and the majority of them (16) are Black players. The only player to speak twice (once at the beginning, and once at the end) is Eli Manning. 

My concern it that this reinforces the assumption that black men are the “abusers, while white men are the “fixers” or “leaders.”  As Cloud notes, “Race and sex have always been overlapping discourses in the United States” (57). I think this is an example of overlapping and perpetuating troubling assumptions. Why not have an all women PSA?

I curious to know what everyone thinks about this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is problematic to perpetuate those stereotypes. I wonder sometimes why PSAs don't take a more nuanced view of social problems. They could try to create something new and still effective that would convey the same message that domestic violence is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete