Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Why don't we talk about AIDS anymore?

From time to time I have thought about this, because as I have said in class before I watch ton of documentaries, and needless to say I have watched several about the AIDS epidemic and how people first responded. To me, it seems that once people equated AIDS with the gay community those who were not gay were no longer concerned and decided to not really make it a priority any more. Thus, we now see the detrimental affects that it had on the gay community. However, as we all should know by know AIDS can infect anyone, so when I came across this article and read the comments

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/experts-examine-hiv-aids-epidemic-in-pittsburgh-area/ar-BBgdHQZ?ocid=HPCDHP

I was reminded why AIDS has been put on the back burner. There was a tremendous amount of gay-bashing, sometimes supported by religious beliefs. Naively, I was somewhat surprised by the amount of these comments. How can we fight an epidemic if people's belief systems don't allow them to do so?

2 comments:

  1. You're right, the need for awareness has not gone away, especially in places where there is a lack of education about safe practices. I hope that over time there will continue to be discussion on the issue. It is normal that ebbs and flows will happen in a conversation, but until there is a cure or no more transmission of the disease, the conversation needs to continue. I think people are afraid to talk about it, but it would save more lives if the media and institutions continued to raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also ask why we aren't hearing about Ebola now, too. It's still raging through Sierra Leone & Liberia, but now that elections have passed, it seems like there's no more Ebola.

    I saw this article about AIDS today, too: http://www.npr.org/2014/12/05/368530521/caring-for-aids-patients-when-no-one-else-would. I think a lot of the stigma with AIDS is linked to the LGBTQ community because it first showed up there, and, especially at the time, it was easy to scapegoat them.

    It's also interesting that around the time of the AIDS crisis, the LGBTQ community politics took a shift for "homonormativity." Was it a reaction to the negative perceptions created by the AIDS crisis or was it because many of the young, radical queers died of AIDS?

    ReplyDelete